This was my first time canning peaches without my mom. I had 2 days of lots of canning. The first day my friend Aimee came to help. I was very grateful to have her help and to have her kids here to entertain mine. We canned 35 quarts of peaches in 4hours. I only had one major mishap; I scalded the first batch of peaches for 10 minutes to get the peel off. When I called my mom to see what on Earth had gone wrong, she let me know scalding was a 30 SECOND process. Oh, well, we made some jam out of that batch! That was the first of many calls and questions to mom that day. Thanks mom - I think I've got it down now! :) The second day of canning I was on my own, with my 2 little monkeys. There were endless breaks for potty and snacks and crying and finding toys and changing diapers and food on the floor and spilled drinks and digging foreign objects out of mouths they didn't belong in and answering the phone and giving baths to clean up the messes. The pantry got torn apart, Jaden dumped oatmeal on Zoee's head, Zo graced us with a blowout, the entire house was ransacked...I canned 7 quarts of peaches in about 8 hours. The next day I spent the entire day paying attention to my neglected children.
The oatmeal incident
A whole shelf full! :)
Mommy's little helpers...
Yes, it just looks like dirt now, but it won't for long! My little dirt pile is soon to be corn, peas, beans, carrots, pumpkin, squash, spinach, lettuce, and watermelon! I can hardly wait! :)
And the best part...after all of my labors, my husband came home with a dozen roses tonight...just because. I think I'm going to keep him! :)
4 comments:
Where do you find the time!!!
Whew- looks like you've been sooo busy! Daniel is such a sweetie! Love surprises like that.
So, I s'pose you can garden year round there? I don't know how I'd feel about that. Harvest time just about does me in- but you'll probably be the one I'd run to if there was ever a disaster, and there was no food. Anyway, nice to see you've updated your blog. Love it!
Way to get stuff done. Your peaches look gorgeous. I can't believe you are planting a fall garden. What sort of place do you live in?
Wow, you are a brave woman. I don't even dare to attempt canning on my own and I only have one little one right now. I always either go to my mom's or make sure some one else is around to help out. Watching kids and canning aren't things I can do together. Good job putting up all those peaches though. I spent all day Saturday canning from 10am to 10pm. I was exhausted and my little boy needed his mom.
Post a Comment