Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Don't Forget the Salt

I made a big double batch of bread before we left on vacation. Daniel was coming home before us, so I wanted to have some in the freezer for him. Well, in my hurry, I forgot the salt. I guess salt affects yeast, because the bread raised up really high, really fast, and then fell flat after I got it out of the oven. So I ended up with 6 flat, unsavory loaves of bread...
Nevertheless, this story has a happy ending! When I got home, I remembered all of that gross bread in the freezer, and decided I needed to figure out what to do with it. Well, I came across this recipe...heavenly! What an unfortunate event turned wonderful! (I used skim milk and decreased the butter a little, and it still turned out DELICIOUS!)

Bread Pudding


Ingredients:
2 cups whole milk
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups bread, torn into small pieces
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Directions:
1. In medium saucepan, over medium heat, heat milk (or half & half) just until film forms over top. Combine butter and milk, stirring until butter is melted. Cool to lukewarm.

2. Combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for 1 minute. Slowly add milk mixture.

3. Place bread in a lightly greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.

4. Sprinkle with raisins if desired. Pour batter on top of bread.

5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 to 50 minutes or until set. Serve warm.


Bread Pudding Sauce

Ingredients:
1 cup whole milk
2 Tbsp. butter
1/3 cup granulated white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. flour
dash of salt

Directions:
Mix everything together and bring to a boil for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Set aside for 5 minutes, then pour on warm bread pudding.
original recipe from momswhothink.com

No comments: