Once upon a time, I lived in South America. I shared my tiny un-air conditioned, cement floored apartment with cochroaches and ants. I washed my clothes in buckets of cold water. I washed my dishes in a single sink with cold water. I mopped my floors with a rag. I took cold showers most of the time, or risked getting shocked by the water "heating" shower head. Sometimes I ran out of water in the middle of my shower. I walked everywhere or risked my life on an overcrowded bus with the most insane drivers I have ever seen. Most mornings I would get fried to a crisp in the hot sun, then walk around drenched by the rain in the afternoon.
When I got home, I was so grateful for the USA. I marveled at having a washer and dryer, a dishwasher, a car, clean water, clean anything actually, and not smelling like mildew all the time...
That was 8 years ago, and I have obviously forgotten a few things...
Our dishwasher is broken...it took me two hours to handwash this load of dishes...funny how you forget to appreciate things until you don't have them anymore... :) I think I should take time today to thank my washer and dryer, my shower, my hot water heater, my car, my air conditioner...
No comments:
Post a Comment