Thursday, October 9, 2008

The New Morning Routine

I've been trying really hard to get my new morning routine going of exercising and scripture reading before the day gets crazy on me, and my important "me" things don't get done. I try to get up before Jaden does. But sometimes he wakes up in the middle of what I'm doing, and I just do my best to make him do it along with me!

I gained a ridiculous 42 pounds during my Zoee pregnancy! (Yikes!) I think it may have had a little to do with a few stressful events like moving and new jobs and new housing and having my husband in a different state this Summer :). Anyway, 29 pounds came off effortlessly (phew!). But it looks like I'm going to have to kick it into gear to get the last 13 off! I did get my wedding ring back on this Monday - yeah, at least my fingers are losing weight, right? :)

I'm not a huge Oprah fan, but once in a while I will watch it and learn something useful. Recently she had some kind of expert on there talking about overwhelmed mothers. (He was a man, so I don't know how he had a clue, but he did give some good advice). He recommended:
1. Get up at least 1/2 hr before your kids each day to plan out your day, get organized, and just have a moment to breath.
2. Try to cut down on the multi-tasking. Do one task until it's completed and then move onto the next.

Now, obviously it's sometimes impossible to do these things, but I have tried it. It really is refreshing to have time in the morning to myself. Giving up that little bit of precious sleep to exercise and organize actually gives me more energy and allows me to get more done. And it sure does feel nice to get things completely done and mark them off the list, even if I have a few things left at the end of the day, rather than have 10 half finished jobs at the end of the day. :)

*Jaden's attempt at crunches. :)
*Jaden "reading" scriptures with me, and showing Zoee a picture of Jesus
*The kids in the laundry pile. They think it's fun to sit in the middle of the clothes while I fold - anything to keep the clothes from getting thrown back in the basket or all over the floor! :)


1 comment:

Pauly said...

Hey, I gained 42 pounds too! Still holding on to the last five and lacking the motivation to lose it. I fit in my clothes so I don't even have that motivation anymore. And will this flabby belly ever be taunt again?

You sound like super mom to me! Way to go!